Friday, August 16, 2013

Remember: "The Box"

#YouAreNotA90sKidIf you never watched "The Box".

For those who don't remember or wasn't around to watch "The Box" channel, it was a music network that started in 1985 and ended in 2001, which is now replaced by MTV2. The Box didn't have music once a week, or only in the mid-day, or only in the mornings, they had it 24-hours a day, seven days a week. And yes, without any crappy shows being involved. Just music. Imagine that, kids?
The Box was the station I first discovered and fell in-love with music. I began watching it around the mid-90's, when I was bored in my grandmother's house and had nothing to do because she didn't have cable; and if you didn't have cable at the time, you could still watch The Box. It was a free t.v channel. All you had to do was buy a television and you can watch it. No Fios, Time Warner, Direct T.V was needed.

So luckily, I was entertained with this channel. Not only entertained, but awoken. The Box made me realize for the first time in my life why people love music. For then on, I would watch it religiously and know every lyric to every song.

They even had a number on the bottom of the screen, so you call in the station to request what video you wanted to see.
The first major musician I saw on The Box, was Jewel. When she had that big hit "Who Will Save Your Soul". I also remember this strange, music video I first witness on The Box, was some guy singing "Yellow" on a beach. Not knowing at the time 'that guy's' name is Chris Martin and he has a band named Coldplay.
Culture today, no question, lacks music channels. Yea, you'll see MTV, VH1, The Fuse, show some music videos in the mornings for one or two hours, but then go back to their shitty shows. We don't have a channel anymore, like The Box, that has music 24/7. No shows, just music videos all day and all night.

It was the diverse music that I think we miss and don't realize it. That's what The Box had, that music channels don't have today. The Box channel had Marilyn Manson, Dr. Dre, Janet Jackson all into one channel. Every music genre was put together and not separated like today. If I want to listen to ASAP Rocky or Kendrick Lamar, I gotta turn on BET or listen to Hot-97.

That's why we all love 90's music. Every genre was in it's peak. We had everything. Now we're not getting everything. We're getting a little bit of Alabama Shakes, and a lot of Justin Bieber and One Direction shove down our throats.

Does the internet cause music channels to be less motivated to televised videos? Probably. I would think: Yes. Nowadays, if I wanna see a music video this instant, all I have to do is go on YouTube; and Youtube, not only has new videos, they have every music video from the 90's to the 60's - you can find anything and everything on there. Back then, if I wanted to see the new Eminen video, I would have to wait hours on MTV or VH1 to see if it comes on -- I think the waiting made it fun, somewhat.

I understand times have changed, but it wouldn't hurt to have a 24/7 music channel. And if someone did decide to do it, do it old school. Take one of of these low income channels, like WLNY 1055, and/or a channel close to the big t.v networks, so that people can see it.

If I could do it, I would have every music video from 2013 to 1987. I would just randomly throw videos from any year and any genre. Just like what "Pandora" does to us.

The Box is sorely missed.