Monday, July 1, 2013

2013 BET Awards Fallout

With no Jay-Z, Beyonce, Kanye West, Drake, Bruno Mars, and still manage to pull off a good show like this, whoever is the producer or group of producers who put this together, bravo to you.

At the end of the 2013 BET Awards, you cannot say you weren't entertained. It's what you wanted out of an award show. Yea, it didn't have Jay-Z or Kanye, but they weren't needed. And they're some award shows who do have an all-star showing and the show still sucks.

Mind you, they did have stars -- Nicki Minaj, Pharrell, Snoop Lion, Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder(lets not forget). So, it wasn't star-less. They didn't have Jay and Bey sitting on the front row, though you gotta hand it to BET for piecing this show together. They did a great job. They gave what the people want; in my view. I don't about everyone else who was watching.

The mixture of old and new stars, and the different types of music, is what made the show great. They gave what the new and old crowd wanted to see. Then, by doing that, everyone will enjoy anything you throw at them. The older crowd will enjoy hip-hop, and the younger crowd will enjoy 70's music by Charlie Wilson.

Also, a great job at promoting a movie or a show. When they showed a movie and/or t.v show premiere, it was done clearly and quickly. It didn't drag. No premieres were: 'Oh my god, who cares!' Or: 'Ugh, I'll change the channel when it's over.' None of that. I was actually interested in all the upcoming shows and movie.

I'll admit, when Kendrick Lamar hosted Saturday Night Live, I did not know who the hell he was. But now I do. And I'm a fan; he must've gain massive fans with that accepted speech -- what a classy guy. And the reason why I wasn't a fan of his then or didn't know who he was, is because main media stage don't promote rappers like this; yea, I know he was on SNL, but that's it.

I thought J.Cole's performance with Miguel Adore was fantastic. "Power Trip" is a great single. When I first heard it on Hot 97, I actually thought J.Cole was Drake.

Cole is a very good rapper because you can hear every word he's saying. He's clear and has a good enough aggressive voice.

ASAP Rocky is another great young rapper. His "F**kin' Problems" performance with 2 Chainz was dope. That song is the shit. You don't hear rap songs like that anymore. I mean...that's a RAP SONG.

Lamar, Cole, Rocky and Adorn are your future. Two out of those three rappers will be the next Jay and Kanye. And these four need to be heard more. This music generation lacks hip-hop.

R.Kelly: Great moment. One of the many good moments at the BET Awards. People miss Kelly's music and genius he provided for us through the years. The audience loved Kelly's performance of remix from his old hits.

Performance of the Night: 


When the song "Beautiful" came on, who stood up and starting singing!? Come on! Don't lie, you know you did.

The tribute to Charlie Wilson was memorable, for sure. I was just worried about Wilson's energy -- lol. Jeez. But luckily he made it.